Summer Craft Idea for Kids to Make Pet Rocks
A summer craft idea is ideal when ending a summer vacation, especially when your vacation is coming to a close. And many parents are getting ready for the busy routine of the school year. Before the summer is over, many children collect items to remember their time spent either in summer camp or visiting family.
Young children love to find and keep their treasures from a field trip in nature or a walk on the beach. And many children like to keep rocks, leaves, and other interesting objects. That is, pet rocks are wonderful keepsakes that children keep as a nice memory of summer vacation. This craft activity helps children to investigate their creative abilities.
Creating crafts is a wonderful learning experience for preschoolers and children because it boosts their creative skills. In fact, it stimulates brain activity to make problem-solving more realistic. Children are more apt to face problem-solving when they’re more creative at tackling the problem with different solutions.
Here is a great idea to only keep them busy with this summer activity but to also make a cheered souvenir from lazy days of vacation. This summer craft idea also helps them learn about reusing and recycling household materials.
Summer Craft Idea in Decorating Silly Pet Rocks
- Rocks or small stones
- Felt color material: white, brown, purple
- Chenille stems
- Wiggly eyes
- Craft feathers
- Small pom-poms
- Tacky glue
- Safety scissors
Instructions for Creating a Memorable Summer Craft Idea
- Clean stones collected from a park, beach or campsite using mild soap and water. Let them dry.
- If there are no stones available, craft stores usually have a nice variety of pebbles and rocks.
- Select stones with a smooth surface, as this will represent the face.
- Paste wiggly eyes on each stone with Tacky glue.
- Option: paste the wiggly eyes on felt material to add depth to the eyes.
- Add feathers or ears to the top of the stone with glue.
- Add nose using pom-poms and glue.
- Use felt material to add whiskers and headbands.
- Use chenille stems to make mouth and tails.
- Paste stones on a piece of brown or white felt material.
- Display these as is or use as paperweights.
While this summer craft idea encourages young children to remember the wonderful moments of summer, consider adding reading time. Take a trip to your local library and investigate ways pet rocks help others. But don’t stop there. Visit other areas around your local town such as artists, museums, or fairs for more summer ending ideas.